For the cake:
225g unsalted butter, softened
225g caster sugar
2 tablespoons of milk
225g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
6 tablespoons of good quality strawberry jam
For the frosting:
125g icing sugar
3 tablespoons of strawberry jam
100g strawberries, thinly sliced
Pretty sugar decorations
You will need: Tray-bake tin 20x30cm
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Line a tray bake tin with baking paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar and vanilla extract.
- Add the eggs and mix again.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix gently.
- Add the milk.
- Scrape into the prepared tin.
- Swirl in the jam, leaving a ripple effect and smooth with a palette knife.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until firm and springy to touch.
- Leave to cool in the tin for at least ten minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Whilst the cake is cooling, make the frosting.
- Put the mascarpone in a bowl and beat with a wooden spoon, sift in the icing sugar then beat again until smooth. Or use a mixer.
- Add the strawberry jam a little at a time, mixing well after each addition. Put in the fridge to firm up a little.
- When the cake is completely cold, place it on a chopping board & trim the edges off with a sharp knife.
- Slice the cake into 24 squares then slice each square in half so that you can fill it with the frosting.
- Use a palette knife, or pipe the frosting into the middle of each of the cakes.
- Put a few sliced strawberries on top of the frosting, add another dollop of frosting and put the other piece of cake on top.
- Spread or pipe frosting on top, then decorate with sugar flowers.
- Place each cake into a pretty cupcake case or place directly on a pretty tray and decorate with a few strawberries and summery flowers.
This recipe and others can also be found on www.dreamscometrue.uk.com.