- 250g prunes, roughly chopped
- 160ml apple juice
- 1l arge egg
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4) and line a 2-lb loaf tin with non-stick baking paper or use a loaf tin liner.
- Put the chopped prunes (I chop each prune into roughly 3 slices) in a large bowl and pour over the apple juice. Heat in the microwave for 1 minute on high or in a small pan over a medium heat.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave, add all the remaining ingredients, except the demerara sugar, and stir well to combine.
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared tin, sprinkle over the demerara sugar and bake in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin.
This recipe and others can also be found on www.thehappyfoodie.co.uk.
Recipe from Bake Me a Cake as Fast as You Can published by Ebury Press, £14.99.