- 500 g (17.6oz) grated cooking apples (leave the peel on and grate everything except the core)
- 200 g (7.1oz) shredded suet
- 350 g (12.3oz) raisins
- 225 g (7.9oz) currants
- 110 g (3.9oz) sultanas
- 110 g (3.9oz) dried cranberries
- 110 g (3.9oz) soft brown sugar
- 225 g (7.9oz) demerara sugar
- 2 small lemons – zest and juice
- 2 small oranges – zest and juice
- 3 tsp mixed spice
- 0.5 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 tbsp brandy, port or orange juice
- Put all the ingredients bar the brandy in a large ovenproof bowl. Stir well then cover with a clean tea towel and leave in a cool place for the flavours to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 120 degrees, remove the tea towel, stir again then cover with foil and put in the oven for about three hours.
- Take the mincemeat out of the oven and stir with a wooden spoon, add the brandy and stir again.
- Sterilise your jars in a hot dishwasher or wash thoroughly with hot water then put into the oven for 5 mins at 180 degrees.
- Spoon the mincemeat into the sterilized jars and keep in a cool place ready for your Christmas baking.
This recipe and others can also be found on www.lovefood.com.