Makes about 18 squares
- 350 g unsalted butter, softened
- 350 g caster sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 400 g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 170 g desiccated coconut
- pinch of salt
- 8 tbsp raspberry jam
- For the topping:
- 200 g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- 75 g desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4) and line a 20 x 30-cm tray bake tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in an electric mixer. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat or whisk well until pale and fluffy.
- Gently mix in all the dry ingredients. Spoon half of the mixture into the prepared tin and spread out with a palette knife.
- Dollop the jam on top and spread to evenly cover the mixture. Spoon the remaining mixture on top and spread carefully with a palette knife to cover the jam and create a smooth top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 35–40 minutes or until golden and springy to the touch. Remove the cake from the oven and leave in the tin to cool.
- Make the topping. Mix together the icing sugar and water, adding the water a little at a time, until you have a smooth, spreadable icing. Roughly spread the icing over the top of the cooled cake then use a spoon to spread the desiccated coconut on top.
- Leave to set then cut into squares to serve.
This recipe and others can also be found on www.thehappyfoodie.co.uk.